Why do you need instincts/Intuition? What is instincts/intuition for?
What is instincts/intuition?
Instincts is the same as intuition, gut feeling or sixth sense. Intuition is knowing something without the ability to explain. This mysterious gut feeling often turns out to be right. Our sixth sense comes from our subconscious mind. It is the kind of feeling or thought that you get first when something happens. It is easily forgettable if not paid attention to (depending on the situation).
Intuition is also how quickly you can tap into your subconscious mind. This is where you store all kinds of information that you do not remember on a conscious level.
Why do you need instincts/Intuition?
You need your intuition for the following reasons:
- When you are in danger.
- When you feel like there is something that is off or it is not right. (This mostly happens when you feel like there is something off about someone that you have put your trust in to doing something).
- When making important decisions about your life (Like your career choice).
- When everything in your life is Ok and running smoothly.
- When you are doing something you are passionate about like drawing, playing a piano or guitar.
Reasons Why you may find yourself not Listening to your Intuition.
- How you were brought up – Since we were children we were all taught to think things through, really think things through before we decide to do something. This in turn overrides our intuition. Thinking things through comes when you have facts that you need to consider, but when you have weighed all your options and there is no rational choice intuition is what you have left.
- Fear – Fear can also override our instincts but this happens when you allow yourself to overthink. You should be able to trust yourself that your intuition is valid and your observations are not all in your head and also trust that you have enough courage to take action on what you know. Most of the time you will find that you are doubting yourself. What if I am wrong? What if something better doesn’t come along? Fear will only make your life difficult you need to trust your intuition because your subconscious mind has already thought about it.
- Failure – Intuition is right most of the time and if you made a decision based on your intuition and it was not successful it doesn’t mean you should give up. The good thing about making decisions based on your intuition is that you know that you are able to trust yourself and if you latter feel like you need to change your decision you can with no problem.
How Should You follow your instincts/intuition?
- Trusting Yourself – as mentioned above it can be difficult to depend on something that you don’t understand you need to trust yourself. Also you probably should not base everyone on decisions based on intuition. Intuition works best when you have experienced something. If you have not gone through that thing or you have not met that person then it is good not to base your thoughts through intuition.
- Asking yourself a set of any questions. – This will help you in listening to the first question that pops to your head. This won’t be easy because your conscious mind already knows the questions you are about to ask yourself which will make it difficult for you to listen to your subconscious mind. But this is a good way to start in teaching yourself on how to listen and follow your intuition.
- Working on your nonverbal thought and expression. – This can be one through;
- Creativity – you can be creative through drawing or painting.
- Visualize – You can do this by gazing up which relaxes your mind without doing anything.
- Listening to your gut. – This is the kind of feeling you get in your stomach area when you know the decision you have made is wrong.
- Stop second guessing yourself. – When you second guess yourself you are allowing fear to take over. Your intuition will work best when you trust yourself.
When should you listen to your intuition?
- When you feel something is off. – When you get a first impression about someone or something that there is something that is not right. You should consider checking all the options and find out why. For example let’s say you woke up today feeling like something is off you begin your day and until midday you still feel like something is off. Until when you are caught by the police for speeding and that is when you realize why you felt that. Sometimes it can be difficult to describe your intuition even to yourself but it is good to consider all the options when it comes to this.
- When making decisions. – When you are making important decisions about your life it is good to listen to your instincts. That way you will know what to do with your life and still be happy. If you are going against the flow on where you should be in your career you will have a gut feeling that this is not right.
- When everything is Ok. – When everything is going smoothly for you, your life is comfortable you have your family with you together with your friends, don’t fight it smile and relax in the fact that you are where you are supposed to be.
- Doing something you like. – When you are doing something you like you feel comfortable throughout. For example let’s say you are a musician and you like the piano. When playing it, it is best to go with the flow and not to overthink things, try to stay out of your head.
Our minds are tricky and if you haven’t taught yourself on how to listen to your instincts then your thought will take over and you will lose your intuition.
Listening to our intuition is hard to most people because we were all taught to think things through, really think about it. What people don’t actually know is that intuition is also a thought which is accessed through our subconscious mind, and most of the time it is usually correct.
It can also be difficult to depend on something that you don’t understand. Also you probably should not base everyone on decisions based on intuition. Intuition works best when you have experienced something. If you have not gone through that thing or you have not met that person then it is good not to base your thoughts through intuition.
For you to listen to your intuition you will need some practice and self-trust. That way you will not second guess yourself when you are in a situation.
Read the next post on; Should You Be A Good Person Or A Person That Does The Right Thing?