Our brain tends to overthink when we worry too much about something. Overthinking is also known as rumination and it is mostly common to introverts.
What Causes Us To Overthink.
Overthinking is when you are caught in a loop where you are just thinking about a single event over and over again. It can be your past mistakes where you wish you had done things differently. Your mind replays the event continuously trying to figure out how the result would be if the situation was handled differently. This mostly happens when you have regrets and can later lead to depression.
Overthinking also comes when you are worried too much about your future. This leads to anxiety. On the other hand you can also find yourself overthinking decisions where you try to analyse them to the ground until you reach a point where your brain can’t make a decision anymore.
Most over-thinkers are good people and care about others, but when they tend to overthink too much, they tend to push away everyone close to them. This is because they appear difficult to be around, anxious and depressed.
If you find your-self overthinking about something get to it, if you have not resolved your past and you feel depressed seek guidance or look for a therapist and close this chapter of your life. If you are overthinking about your future then take action and make sure every day you have a plan that will take you closer to your goal. By taking action you will feel better and happier every day.
Drawbacks of overthinking.
1. Depression – Depression comes when you regret something. If you find that you are not happy with how you handled a situation don’t overthink it, don’t play it in a continuous loop in your head it will just make things worse. Instead learn from your mistake and when faced with the same situation again know how to handle it.
2. Anxiety – Overthinking also leads to anxiety. If you are overthinking too much about your future, teach yourself to stop it. You cannot control every single detail of your life even before it happens. Leave in the present, take it a day at a time.
Although it takes time, overthinking is not like a switch you cannot decide to stop overthinking and it just happens like that.
3. Your health deteriorates – Because your mind is overthinking too much, about every decision you have to make together with your future and your past mistakes. This later becomes too much to handle and you start not to appreciate yourself, because you either become depressed or anxious about your future.
4. Unfavorable to Human Performance – If you are overthinking too much about something. Your performance in whatever you are doing starts to decline. You might not know it at that time but you will later know why. What you need to know is that our mind is very powerful and if you overthink too much about something it will happen.
For example let’s say you have a job and every day you continuously overthink of losing your job because of some reason that is in your head. You will risk the chance of losing your job.
Another example let’s say you want to succeed in life so that you can get back at a person. You continuously overthink how their reactions will be and how they will wish to be you. You will find yourself failing and not succeeding at all.
How to Stop Overthinking.
1. Acknowledge that you have a problem.
First you have to accept that you tend to overthink and that it has become a problem in your life. Also you want to stop overthinking and focus on the present.
2. Know Why You Are Over-thinking.
Figure out why you are overthinking. Is it because something happened and it did not go your way and you are trying to figure out what would have happened if you handled the situation differently?
Or is it because you always tend to ruminate every-time you want to make a decision until you reach a point where you can’t make a decision anymore?
Or you are overthinking about your future, if you will be able to achieve your dream and how your future will look like.
3. Avoid talking to anyone else about your problem.
The problem with talking to others is that it causes more overthinking. This is because you have received different information on how to handle your problem but you do not know which one to pick. Also the person you can decide to talk to can be an over thinker and this will later lead to negativity and more stress making your problem even worse.
The best way to handle this situation is to write down what you are going through and you will feel even better and after you read it you will be glad that you did not talk to anyone.
4. Have the Ability to forgive.
If you are overthinking/ruminating too much because of a person who made your life difficult. Forgive them for your own sake and move on with the present. Also learn to forgive yourself because it is not your fault that you continuously ruminate our brains are wired this way.
5. Get busy.
If you are overthinking about your past fix it. If you are overthinking about your future then get to work and make sure every day you are getting closer to your dream. If you are overthinking about every decision that you have to make, stop overthinking and do it.
If you are in a situation where you can’t take any action. Then find a hobby or an activity that you like doing that will calm your mind and stop overthinking. It can be exercises, playing music or playing cards.
6. Know Your thoughts become a reality.
You should know that your thoughts have the ability to become true. For example let’s say you have a job and every day you continuously overthink of losing your job because of some reason that is in your head. You will risk the chance of losing your job.
Another example; let’s say you want to succeed in life so that you can get back at a person. You continuously overthink how their reactions will be and how they will wish to be you. You will find yourself failing and not succeeding at all.
If you are an over thinker you either leave in the past or in the future which is a big problem because, you are not leaving in the present. This means you have no peace, because you are either depressed or anxious.
Leave a comment below if you found this to be helpful also share it to someone who might need it.
Read the next post on Why Achieving Your Dream Should Be Scary